Monday, October 12, 2009

Rediscovering Tasmania - Wynyard

October is an ideal time to visit the township of Wynyard, located on the north-west coast of Tasmania. In recent years, Wynyard has become especially known for its colourful show of tulips, grown on Table Cape.
The Colours of Wynyard - Bloomin' Tulip Festival draws many people and the town celebrates Spring over a weekend in October.

Wynyard is an increasingly popular tourist centre situated on the Inglis River with easy access to Bass Strait. I am told that today, visitors flock to see the local scenic attraction of Table Cape, a former volcano with views inland along the north coast. Table Cape, an intensely beautiful headland with views back to Wynyard, was originally named by Bass and Flinders who sailed along the coast in 1798.

The Table Cape on which the tulip farms are located with the
beautiful lighthouse - below, keeping a watch on shipping along the coast.
The lookout, not far from the lighthouse, provides panorama
views of Wynyard, east along the coast.

I have always enjoyed Wynyard and during the 1950s visited the place regularly on Saturdays. It was from here that I had my first ever plane flight on board a tiny little single engine Auster, similar to the one below:On our recent visit to King Island (see Rediscover Tasmania - King Island), we flew over Wynyard and took the following stunning views (please make allowances for the discoloured aircraft windows that distorts the photograph somewhat).

Table Cape in the foreground - the site of the tulip farm, the town in the middle and the mountains to the south, including Valentine Peak gives a pretty good overview of this delightful place where people are friendly and there is much to see.Below, Table Cape as seen from the air with the lighthouse prominent:
Wynyard certainly comes alive in October when visitors come to enjoy the
The Colours of Wynyard - Bloomin' Tulip Festival
The town is well worth a special visit during this festival and especially to visit the tulip farms on Table Cape. The main tulip farm is located near the lighthouse on Table Cape and the combination of the two make for wonderful photographic opportunities:
So, enjoy the views with this 'old' man - hmmm! Old? I don't think so.
His eye for beauty is still A-OK!
When we were there a couple of weeks ago, the weather was quite outstanding, as the following small selection of photos will show - and don't be afraid to click on the images to get the full benefit of the colour and the perspective:

The above scene remind me of the 23rd Psalm - the Shepherd Psalm:
The Lord is my Shepherd; I have everything I need.
He lets me rest in pastures of green grass - surrounded by colour,
And leads me to quiet pools of fresh water.
He gives me new strength and guides me in the right paths.
Even if I go through the deepest darkness, I will not be afraid.
I know that your goodness and love will be with me all my life;
And your house will be my home as long as I live.
Psalm 23 Good News version.

Colour galore!And finally, these outstanding views - so colourful and majestic!
Visit Wynyard, and indeed the whole of the beautiful north west coast of Tasmania, and you will not be disappointed. It is peaceful & friendly with excellent food and accommodation.

2 comments:

Geoff King said...

Very well done Siebrand quite spectacular pictures.

Heather & Geoff

auschick said...

those tulips are so lovely. i'm looking forward to seeing mine appear in the spring!