Monday, December 11, 2006

Retirement? Are you kidding!

As most of you know, I remain an active consultant (on a volunteer basis) with the United Bible Societies and have special responsibility to the Bible Society of Papua New Guinea. I have to say that this is not in any way a hardship as we both love Papua New Guinea and love the Bible Society. Even so, the task can at times be hard and frustrating.

The Bible Society in PNG is heavily dependent on international financial assistance to undertake the many publishing tasks requested by the different language groups - there are over 800 of these. This financial support comes from Bible Societies throughout the world including Australia and substantially from America. It is the American Bible Society that invited representatives from Asian & Pacific countries to attend a special workshop about changes in future funding arrangements. As a result, I found myself on a plane to Bangkok last Sunday and came home on Friday. What one could classify as a rather quick trip.

The workshop was great and very informative. BS-PNG was well represented by its General Secretary - Leontine, who delighted us all with her humour and, more importantly, impressed on us her country's need for assistance.The American Bible Society President - Paul Irwin was generous in his comments but made it clear that project proposals would in the future require better research and funding grants will require greater accountability. I don't have any argument with that.The sessions were pretty lively and most helpful. Above: in session with me sitting between Leontine (PNG) and James (Bangladesh).

Of special joy to me was to meet up again with many brothers and sisters from the worldwide family of Bible Society, including:Nora from the Philippines. We recalled many happy moments, including the time when I brought a gift of two huge bunches of grapes into Manila. The two bunches would just fit into one small carton! I never have given a better gift! It was so well received at the time.

Then there was my good friend Peter Bradley with whom I worked when Peter was the Executive Vice President of ABS, from where he went to the International Bible Society to become their President. It was a delight to meet up again with Peter:The above photo is with, left, Paul Irwin (President of ABS) and Peter Bradley, centre.

Following the day's session, some of us went to dinner - Thai style, which was very pleasant!Some B B Q!!

The people in Thailand were busy celebrating the King's Birthday, his 79th. There were signs everywhere and the whole population dressed in bright yellow tops:With a whole day to myself prior to my departure, I chose to go for a little sight seeing, generously assisted by a representative from the Thai Bible Society. He took me to the Grand Palace near the river and we then went on a river boat up river for some way, where we had lunch. It was just nice to relax and enjoy the sights and the atmosphere. The Thai people are really friendly and I enjoy meeting them.

The palace was quite spectacular and we seemed to be welcomed by the military band:The sights of past opulence. The site is well maintained and quite outstanding:Just a couple of photos with me in it. As you can see, while I missed Carol terribly, I made the best of the opportunity!Even in a busy place such as this, there were the devout Buddhists:Rahd showed me the proper way to handle Thai food. He was a good guide and brother.It's time to get back to the hotel, shower, rest and off to the airport for a comfortable flight home and then the work of following up the conference.

3 comments:

auschick said...

thai food is great, and the thai people are wonderful. glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those buildings are amazing! I thought, at first, they were graphically enhanced, but Nat confirmed they're real. :)

What a wonderful experience. Thanks for the photos!

calmax said...

Great pics - looks like you went at the right time of year - the dry season, and you looked dressed to suit the weather and culture. It's a pity Mum wasn't there with you - we continue to pray for her health.

M